Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bo Laksa King - 4910 Joyce Street @ Wellington

B and I have been excited to blog about our culinary experiences for some time now. We're glad that this blog is finally underway.


Recently, we 'dined' at Bo Laksa King - I use the term loosely since the dining was done on some plastic patio furniture on the front lawn of a corner store. The decor was unique to say the least.

The reason we chose to try this tiny little stand is because we had heard rave reviews from friends and other blogs. B is connoisseur with highly critical taste buds when it comes to South East Asian food. And Bo Laksa King did not fail to impress. We both ordered the Laksa (noodle, a hard boiled egg, tofu, and fish balls in a coconut curry soup base). The soup was rich and flavorful with a tongue tickling spiciness that didn't overwhelm or fry the pate. The portion was large and was enough even to appease B's empty stomach.



We also ordered the roti chanai. A light deep fried pastry to be dipped in a savory curry sauce. I've never had this before, but B wasn't too impressed with the curry sauce. I agree with his take on the sauce. It was too salty and there was nothing special about the flavor. I wouldn't order it for the sauce again. However, the roti itself was soft and fluffy. It had a lovely texture to nibble on. B gave the roti a thumb up.



The final thing we ordered was the Burmese tea. It was rich, aromatic and delicious overall. We ended up ordering another cup because the first left us with a craving. For $1.50, I think this was the best deal of the entire meal. I would take the 40 min bus over there just for another mug.

There were definitely some highlights to this little laksa stand in the corner of the corner store. I thoroughly enjoyed the Burmese tea, and the Laska left my tummy satiated for the entire evening after this early dinner. I’m excited to go back and see what else this hole-in-a-hole-in-the-wall has to offer.

~G

2 comments:

  1. Sounds divine G ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same feeling about the Roti. It was delicious and filling but I didn't bother with the curry sauce most of the time. Every 5 bites or so I might dip simply for something different.

    Missed out on the Burmese tea, we'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete